Call for a Global Relay Fast to Protest the RTI Act Amendments
Posted by rtiact2005 on August 9, 2006
********* PLEASE DISTRIBUTEWIDELY *******
Call for a GlobalRelay Fast to Protest the RTI Act Amendments
This is a call to all Indians world-wide, whowish tosee a strong, empowered, democratic India, free from the shackles ofcorruption, to come out and voice their protest against the recentlyproposed amendments to the Right to Information Act by sitting in afastin solidarity with our partners in India who have decided to go on ahunger-strike until their demand to not tamper with the Act is met bythegovernment.
Sandeep Pandey (Asha Parivar), an RTI crusader and aMagsaysay Award winner in 2002, is sitting on a fast from the morningof8th August, 2006, in Jantar Mantar, New Delhi, till the demands of thenumerous NGOs (which include, among others, Parivartan and the NationalCampaign for People’s Right to Information (NCPRI)) and civil-societygroups of leaving the RTI Act untampered, are met by thegovernment.
We request all our friends andsupporters around the world to join us in a global relay fast startingonAugust 9.
- We call upon Indians from all over the world tofast insolidarity with our grassroots partners in India who have struggled forover a decade to bring us the RTI Act, only to see it being mutilatedbythe government less than a year after its enactment.
- We call upon Indians from all over the world to fast in protestagainst the proposed amendments to the RTI Act, which would make theActcompletely ineffective and give refuge to corrupt officials under thegarb of secrecy.
- We call upon Indians from all over the world to fast in order tosaveour democracy and to eliminate the malaise of corruption from the livesof citizens.
- We call upon Indians from all over the world to fast inremembranceof the lives of honest officials and citizens, which were lost, tryingtosafeguard our nation from the clutches of corruption.
- Together, our voices and our pledge to fast, will convey to thegovernment that the entire citizenry is ready to transcend all barriersand make a serious committment to participate in the fight againstcorruption.
– You can decide to fast for 12, 24 or morehours (butnot more than 72 hours at a time)
– You will be expected to not eat anything (except water and, ifnecessary, essential fluids) during the fasting period.
– Please go through theinformationabout safe-fasting before you decide to join.
– You can participate in the fast from wherever you are, at your homeorworkplace.
– If you can congregate with others while fasting, you are encouragedtodo so, and inform us.
Thanks and best regards,
~ Nirveek Bhattacharjee
Save Right to Information Campaign
Association for India’s Development
Phone: 1 (410) 627-7679, Email: nirveek.aid_AT_gmail.com