Posted by rtiact2005 on July 5, 2006
From: nityanand jayaraman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: Guru Subbaraman <email@example.com>
Cc: hrf <firstname.lastname@example.org>, CAG <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, Raj Sundar <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, sharadha narayanan <email@example.com>, Varathkanth E <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Rajesh Sabapathy <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Date: Jun 27, 2006 7:30 PM
Subject: CNN IBN journalist
Dharmesh was contacted by Rohini (a CNN-IBN) journalist who is interested in doing a month-long series on RTI. Wanted a case study. We put her in touch with the Save Pallikaranai Marshlands Forum, where we are helping a person file an RTI with Corporation, TNPCB and Dept of Env on the garbage dumping in Perungudi. She is going to follow the person’s travails. Since we don’t yet have a venue confirmed, she will only be able to mention the July 10-25 campaign, but will do an update thereafter with venue details.
On a different note:
1. Adv. Mohan is prepared to speak to the Legal Services department to see if we can get a hall within the High Court premises. We can also seek the support of the HC Bar Association, and see if the Chief Justice will be available to address a symposium or an event (perhaps a training for lawyers on the RTI) at our venue.
2. Training: At least two groups — one Aravani group, and a group of fisherfolk — are interested in being trained, and some will volunteer with us. We need to schedule a training (perhaps for half a day — given that it’s a small group).
3. In the event that the project proposal for funding does not come through, can we envisage a scaled down version of the program. Corporate Accountability Desk should be able to contribute Rs. 45,000 over and above what has been contributed till date (about Rs. 6500).
4. Planning meeting: Can we meet on 30th for a few hours to finalise publicity plans (media and through direct communication) and take responsibility for program details? I’d suggest 10 am to 12 noon.
Date: Jun 28, 2006 3:26 AM
Subject: Re: CNN IBN journalist
Please copy firstname.lastname@example.org in all emails. on a different note, Harini: You mentioned the student leader from AISA who wanted to support and be part of the campaign. I would welcome it. However, pl. ensure that others in the group are ok as well.
The list of people from various districts from 24th meeting is as follows:
A. Xavier Anthony
Bhasam Trust, Konneripatti. Via Thambampatti, Salem 636113
Tel: 04282 228969
Will organise awareness camps in five places in Salem and one place in Namakkal district.
2. Ambattur, Thiruvallur District
Parimala, Women Workers Union and Malarchi
8/2 Dharmaraja Koil Street, Kilpauk, Chennai 600 010
or 9444129639 (Loganathan)
3. Villupuram District
No. 2, Marakanam Road
Near TPTC Depot
Tel: 04147 228207
4. Virudhunagar District
SEEDS, 2020 Jeyaram Nagar
Athipatti, Sempatti (PO)
Tel: 04566 240801
5. Coimbatore District
38 Narsa Street
Tel: 04296 272969 and 270089
6. Thanjavur District
District Rural Consumer Protection Movement & Cauvery Farmers Protection Movement
Kumbakonam, Thanjavur (NO ADDRESS GIVEN)
ROSE (Rural Organisation for Social Education)
No. 7, Parries Corner
West Main Street
Tel: 04322 224148 or 222076
Usilampatti, Madurai District
Tel: 04552 252008
Will condut from July 20 to 25
Dr. Pirai Arivalagan
Thiruvarur Consumer Protection Council
40 Sivan Nagar, Thiruvarur 610002
Tel: 04366 222021
c/o Dalit Women’s Rights Movement
109, A/3 Venkatesapuram
Tel: 04328 225230
Vaigai Paadhukappu Arakattalai Niruvanur
Vilampatti (PO) 624219
I. H. Sekar
Tamilnadu Grama Munnetra Aikiya Sangam
No. 20, Dr. Nanjunda Rao St
Injambakkam Chennai 600 041
Thilakavathy IPS Podhunala Mandram
Aromiyar Kuppam 631301
14. S.A. Anbazhagan
Ammaiyar Kuppam 631301
Pallipet Vattam, Thiruvallur
Tel: 044 27846070
15. Adv. Sundarvadivelu (VOLUNTEER)
767 Poonamallee High Road
Kilpauk, Chennai 600 010
Date: Jun 28, 2006 5:14 AM
Subject: Re: CNN IBN journalist
I’ve no objections to having AISA as part of the group. We have already said that we’d like to have trade unions on board. So we should not have problems having party-affiliated student bodies in the campaign. I would, however, have reservations including ABVP, BMS or other student bodies/unions with affiliations to the saffron front.
we need volunteers at the camp. If AISA can provide us a minimum of even two trained volunteers day for 15 days, that would be great. We can organise a training for them along with the others for whom training is pending.
Would help if you copy everybody on the same email, or just press “reply all” to respond this email. saves us the trouble of having to cut-paste addresses from other mails.
I have sent a list of addresses written in my notebook by Lokesh and myself at the meeting. HRF is the one that has the larger list. If you notice in my email, I mention that this is the list from 24th, and it does not include the folks who volunteered on 17th. So kindly incorporate this list into your larger list, and with updates. I would also be happy not to take on this responsibility.
THe point number 2 of your email is not clear, and is garbled.
1. Guidelines for organisations hosting RTI Camps / Clinics during the two week campaign
2. btË¥gil¤ j‹ikíŸs #dehaf muir C¡FÉ¡f – r_f Úâia Ãiyeh£l – jftš cÇik r£l« 2005.
I’m going to print this out and read it tomorrow and give you comments over phone if I have any. I’m not in town tomorrow and will be back only on 30th morning.
OSSIE/JOHNNY: I would also like to know your thoughts on the following questions:
1. Is High Court an acceptable venue if it works out?
2. If we don’t get the grant from AID, can we make do with Rs. 45000 from CAD and whatever else we can get together.
1. Meeting on the 30th: I won’t be able to make it if is between 10 and 12. Evenings are better to take time off work. Lokesh will attend the meeting
2. Website/blog: I have initiated putting up the content on the chennairti googlepages free webpages. The website on our own domain will take a little longer since we don’t have people to design the site for us. I am putting up a link for the basic training materials, brochures on RTI and the PIO list on the google pages domain. The links will access the content that will be hosted on the domain that we have bought. I am putting up all our contact details so that volunteers can get in touch with us.
You can find our current website at
We can also link to the National RTI page that Dharmesh mentioned. Once we develop the content, we can request the National RTI page to link to us.
We will start spreading the word about the camp in the blogger community next week. We are trying to get the Chennai metroblogs to write about us. We will also ask our blogger friends (some of them are very popular in the blogger community) to link to our blog or write about us. The blogs can link to our website for further information about the campaign.
By the end of the next week, the blog part of the publicity will be in place. The website with the content uploaded will be ready by this weekend.
Ossie: Is it Ok if we put up Charmaine Rodriguez’s writeup on RTI and its translated version on the website? Are there copyright issues?
3. Student organizations and trade unions: In my personal opinion, as long as these organizations don’t hijack the campaign for their publicity, I don’t have a problem. This is an awareness campaign and if these organizations help more people to come to know about the RTI Act and make them use it, it helps achieve the objective. In any case, individuals and organizations will be filing the applications. As long as the applications are not made under the name of TNRTI Campaign, I see no reasons for why we shouldn’t help them to use the RTI Act effectively.
“,1] ); //–>
\nWould help if you copy everybody on the same email, or just press "reply all" to respond this email. saves us the trouble of having to cut-paste addresses from other mails.
\nI have sent a list of addresses written in my notebook by Lokesh and myself at the meeting. HRF is the one that has the larger list. If you notice in my email, I mention that this is the list from 24th, and it does not include the folks who volunteered on 17th. So kindly incorporate this list into your larger list, and with updates. I would also be happy not to take on this responsibility.\n
\nTHe point number 2 of your email is not clear, and is garbled.
1. Guidelines for organisations hosting RTI Camps / Clinics during the two week campaign\n
“,1] ); //–>